Charleston is a charming city that is very inviting for bicyclists. When you get out on your bike, you do yourself a world of good, and it’s hard not to have a good time doing it. If, however, you’re injured by a negligent driver in the process, the losses you experience can be devastating. If this is the difficult position you find yourself in, it’s time to consult with an experienced Charleston bike accident attorney.
Step One: Seek Medical Attention
When you’re on your bike, you don’t have the protective shell you would in a car accident, and you take the full brunt of the impact, which can leave you very seriously injured. The shock and adrenaline that you experience in the aftermath of a bike accident, however, can mask serious symptoms. The bottom line is that if you’ve been involved in a bike accident, it’s always in your best interest to seek medical attention early on.
Step Two: Consult with a Skilled Bike Accident Attorney
Obtaining fair compensation that covers all the following forms of loss will play an important role in your ability to reach your fullest recovery:
- Your current and ongoing medical costs
- Your lost income and any losses related to earning potential
- Your physical and emotional pain and suffering
The surest means of bringing your strongest claim and recovering your losses is with a seasoned bike accident lawyer in your corner.
Step Three: Follow Your Legal Counsel’s Advice
Your accomplished bike accident attorney will ably take on all the following critical aspects of your claim, and following their advice throughout the process will help to ensure that your claim is resolved favorably:
- Gathering the available evidence, which can include eyewitness testimony, photos and videos captured at the scene of the accident, footage from dash cams and security cameras, the police report, and more
- Compiling the evidence into a cohesive claim that bolsters your legal position
- Proving the involved driver’s negligence, which may take the form of distraction, exhaustion, aggression, failure to follow all traffic laws, impairment, excess speed, and beyond
- Carefully demonstrate the full range of your related losses
- Skillfully negotiating with the insurance company for a just settlement
- Being well prepared to take your case to trial in the event that the insurance company chooses not to engage in fair negotiations
Step Four: Avoid Common Client Challenges
Bringing a robust claim is a complex process that your prominent bike accident attorney is well equipped to handle, but avoiding some of the common pitfalls that often trip claimants up can help you help yourself. Consider the following primary concerns:
- Refer the involved insurance company to your bike accident attorney. You’re not required to make a statement, and it’s a good idea not to do so.
- Staying off social media while your claim is processed is always well advised.
- Refraining from accepting any early settlement offers made by the insurance company prior to discussing the matter with your attorney helps to ensure you don’t accept less than the amount to which you’re entitled.
An Experienced Charleston Bike Accident Attorney Can Help
The capable Charleston bike accident attorneys at Query Sautter & Associates encourage you to reach out for their skilled legal guidance – in focused pursuit of an optimal claim outcome. Learn more by contacting us online or calling 843-795-9500 today.